Posted on 24 Jan 2012 14:29
The Warrior Lunge exercise gets its name from the first in a series of yoga poses called Virabhadrasana, although the yoga version is more complex than this simple lunge exercise.1 This lunge incorporates an overhead reach and therefore targets upper back and shoulder mobility as well as hip mobility.
Hips, thoracic, shoulder
1. Stand with your feet together.
2. Step forward into a front lunge while bringing both hands together overhead.
3. Keep the head and chest upright and do not allow the arms to move forward while sinking into as low a lunge as you can manage.
4. The hips should move forward as you increase the stretch.
5. Hold the position of this lunge for a pause and then return to the starting position.
6. Repeat with your other leg.
7. Do several repetitions with each leg.
8. The bottom lunge position can also be held for a longer period as more of a static stretch.